Something to Talk About by Meryl Wilsner


The first books I bought with my own money were Harlequin Romances. Then I discovered NAIAD Press and Bold Strokes books and seeing women falling for each other was not just a revelation, but an affirmation.

Romance is a genre I keep returning to when life is hard or when I have read too many heavy books. While my wife is hiding away reading her cozy mysteries, my COVID-19 escape have been romance novels and this has been the most frustratingly satisfying read yet. Had I just read this article on Goodreads, I would have known that "the author describes their work as 'love stories about women who take so long to kiss you want to fling yourself into the sun.' " But to be fair, it was that building of sexual tension on both sides that made my heart race page after page after page.

First things first: Yes, the title of this romance novel comes from the Bonnie Raitt song, but I will let the author tell you all about it when you read their book. I am here to wax poetic about the plot and the characters. You see, I settled down in my hammock a couple of days ago and was mesmerized by this love story of a former child actor turned writer producer and her PA. I will confess to being prone to hyperbole, but I am not exaggerating when I tell you that even when nature called, I did not want to put this one down.

From the very first scene when Jo informs Emma that she will go to the SAG Awards. I was drawn in by their banter.


After a well-intentioned move on Emma's part during the red carpet, the press shares a photo of what seems like an intimate moment between the women and they have a field day speculating about their relationship.


Jo had always refused to comment on her sexuality and she adamantly refuses to speak up now. She was giving me serious Jodie Foster vibes by this point. Because of Emma's respect and admiration for her boss, she agrees that no comments would be offered when asked about their relationship. That does not mean that Emma's sister Avery does not tease her mercifully about "her girlfriend." 


You tell her, Avery! I fully support all sapiosexual crushes! Jo is also getting ribbed by her best friend, Evelyn. Avery and Evelyn remind me of the greatest sidekicks in TV (Jack and Karen from Will and Grace) and movies (the supporting cast of Notting Hill or Four Weddings and a Funeral). It is their gentle prodding that gradually leads Jo and Emma to reconsider their feelings for each other.

However, there are complications. Emma is propositioned by a powerful Hollywood producer which makes Jo hesitant to do or say anything that can be misconstrued as inappropriate. (By the way: how Jo handles the harasser is a thing of cathartic beauty.) Emma herself shuts down after a couple of misunderstandings and I nearly hurled the book away from me as my frustration at the complications that arise in romance novels because of lack of communication almost got the best of me.

I'm not going to tell you what happens. The author has warned you that it is going to take a while before Jo and Emma get together, in the meantime, I leave you with Avery's thoughts on the matter:


Rating: All the stars! (What can I say, the first two books were winners? Also, this book is not perfect by any means, Jo and Emma's justifications for staying away from each other are repetitive and tiresome, but I forgive Wilsner because almost everything else just works.)








Comments

Popular Posts